Friday, September 07, 2012

Slowing the Train for a Couple Weeks

This weekend, I’m headed for my second two-week writing residency at Ox-Bow!

Affiliated with the School of the Art Institute of Chicago, Ox-Bow is located along the shores of Lake Michigan and offers 115 acres of inspirational space: pristine natural forests, dunes, a lagoon, and historic buildings.

Writers at this artists’ colony are provided with a small apartment, private lodge with inspirational views, three gourmet meals a day, and snacks around the clock — all from local farms.

Last time I was in Ox-Bow, as I prepared for Tracks to be published, I was working on a revision of my novel, Womb.

This time, I plan to plunge into a new novel: Setting the Family Free.

 I also plan to take some appropriate reading material to start and end my days: Thoraeu’s Walden, O’Brien’s In The Lake of the Woods, and Steinbeck’s The Pastures of Heaven.

Ox-Bow offers the opportunity to meet other artists from around the world, and (most importantly) uninterrupted time to write. Not to mention gourmet meals three times a day using local, organic food.

Ox-Bow’s residency program is all about immersion, commitment, freedom, and focus. Founded in 1910, Ox-Bow is celebrating 102 years as a haven for artists, writers, and thinkers.

I plan to live by the bell for the two weeks, leaving my watch behind. I may spend an hour a day online, but plan to spend most of the two weeks unplugged, and writing.

If I stay the course and manage to get in a full day of writing each day, maybe I’ll even have time to partake in other writer-in-residence duties, such as eating, hiking, canoeing, and carousing.

Learn more about Ox-Bow by visiting their online campus.

www.ox-bow.org


1 Comments:

At 2:30 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi! You have such an interesting and informative page. I'll be looking forward to be visiting your site again and for your other posts as well. Keep up the good work! Thank you so much for sharing some information about this topic. This is a must-read blog.
In the United Kingdom Section 83(1) of the Railways Act 1993 defines "train" as follows:
a) two or more items of rolling stock coupled together, at least one of which is a locomotive; or
b) a locomotive not coupled to any other rolling stock.
You’ll find magic in such sparkling Chicago attractions as Navy Pier – the Midwest’s top tourist destination – and its boardwalk, 150-foot Ferris wheel, boat and segway tours, and countless dining or shopping options. Millennium Park offers dazzling music, art, landscape design and architecture – including the mammoth stainless-steel Cloud Gate sculpture – plus ice skating in the winter, splashing around in the interactive Crown Fountain during summer, and alfresco dining from spring to fall. Travel to the city of Chicago by train with Amtrak Vacations and see what you've been missing.

train travel to Chicago

 

Post a Comment

<< Home